It didn't work at all! I decided to completely redesign it. Below was my second go. It isn't perfect, but it works.
It is functional, but it isn't smooth. Still, I think I want to move on to other areas of the gun. The next challenge will be designing the barrel and handle in such a way as to snap together in some way. I realize nuts and bolts are cheap, but I welcome the added challenge of making them unnecessary in the design.
As this is a mechanical project (read moving parts) I thought it would be appropriate to include a short video of my second attempt.
Beginnings of a rubber band gun... from gavilan on Vimeo.