Monday, April 23, 2012

RepRap: Upgrades!

This year I started feeling like I was falling behind with the opensource 3d printing movement, so I made the time to upgrade my printer. I started by finally installing a new heated bed. Before now I was still printing PLA on blue tape. Now I'm printing PLA on heated glass. Here is a before and after:

 I followed Nophead's lead with simplifying the y axis by using a few linear bearings.

While I was at it I also upgraded my electronics! I was pretty happy to get away from prototyping breadboards by upgrading to RAMPS. These pictures say it all...



Finally, I upgraded my extruder. The old extruder was my own design that was still running strong after over a year of use, but it was big and bulky, taking up to 10 minutes to heat up. It also pushed 3mm filament through a .5mm hole. The new MakerGear extruder only takes a few minutes to heat up and pushes 1.75mm filament through a .25mm hole. Here is a before and after:

Special thanks to the authors of the following things on thingiverse to add finishing touches to my printer:

One last before and after:

 I am very happy with my printer and can't wait to start working on my DogBot again!


  1. Do you have the software, codes and blue prints to develop this project?

  2. Please post codes for this project..Awesome blog post site. Looking forward for more blogs from you.
    Consultancy for toner Manufacturing

  3. I’ll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.Snuffle Mat

  4. I have a old version printer and I want updates this. You provide the best updated printer. This post is very helpful for me.
    The Commercial cleaning Dallas TX provide the best cleaning work at a low price. Click here for better progress.

  5. heir daily activities are so beneficial and spirited. It would be very relaxing to be in silence for the majority of each day, it gives you a chance to absorb your surroundings. The food portion stuck out to me because I never stop to think about the growth process of what i’m eating and marvel of natures creations. Gifts Australia